Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 127: Red and Black Checkers

These are the last of the checkered socks that I have right now. And I just realized I should have been doing laundry tonight to catch up on those socks that I need to wear again. Oops. Hopefully I remember tomorrow night!

Today I will delight your eyes with a lovely story to read about how Disney has continuously ruined my perceptions of life and how it works. More importantly of love, and how that works. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Disney. I grew up watching Peter Pan (which is my favourite), The Little Mermaid, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (why is it dwarfs and not dwarves? English majors?!), Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The Lion King, Aladdin, etc., etc. I appreciate that they are cartoons. I appreciate the subtle humour that many of them contain. I appreciate that on the surface they were very entertaining as a child. 

But now that I am older, wiser, understand (somewhat) how life works, I am upset that Disney is allowed to continue to portray love in the way that they do. Seriously. Eric, a prince, falls in love with the girl that can't speak, Ariel, and they get married. Prince Charming falls in love with Cinderella and won't give up until he's found her. The Beast falls in love with Belle, but guess what, he's a prince...I could go on, but I'll stop there. You get it. Why are they always princes and princesses? What is this fascination that Disney has with royalty? Girls wait their entire lives for "the one" their "prince charming" -- but how many people actually get a full out prince? Not many. And why the hell not? Because it's completely unrealistic!  

Ever since Kate Middleton showed up in a magazine on a ski trip with Prince William, I actually thought they would get married. I didn't know anything about either of them, really. Just that Prince William is blonde, cute and has a LOT of names (William Arthur Phillip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor...I just googled that). I wasn't a royal follower of any sort, although I felt small twinges of excitement when I heard things like Princess Diana had taken her kids to McDonald's and they were the first royals to eat there. Fist pump for consumerism! But there was just something about those ski trip pictures that brought up feelings of excitement for them. I'm a girl -- dating, love and weddings are exciting to me. Get over it. 

When they finally (what, 8 years later?) announced that they were, in fact, getting married, I was all over that news. I've been reading about it for months. MONTHS. Whenever I see Kate Middleton on a magazine, I immediately want it. So far I don't think I've actually bought any, but I hover and I definitely read more than is allowed in a grocery store check-out line. And I sigh. And I ooohh and aaahh over it. 

Plain and simple: I want a prince. And not a "he's the one for me, he's kind of cute in an awkward, unkempt sort of way and yeah, he's my prince." No. I want a prince. Like, the real thing. Disney taught me that pretty much every girl gets a prince. So where is mine? Tomorrow I will wear my Cinderella socks in hopes of somehow meeting a real prince. Like maybe he'll just show up in my Stats class, never having been there before, and we'll fall madly in love. It must happen. Disney told me so.

xo

1 comment:

Write me your thoughts, hopes, and dreams here!