Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 124: Christmas in April

Yep, I wore Christmas socks yesterday. They were a super bright shade of red. That's just how I do it, friends.

Yesterday after doing a TON of homework and feeling extremely productive, I went out for dinner and drinks with some friends. We decided to try a restaurant called FARM. I have heard rave reviews about this place and wanted to try it for myself. I have been told by many people that their Macaroni and Cheese is 'to die for' and so I definitely wanted me some of that action.

The restaurant itself is really cute. They have white wood-panelling and it's welcoming. The kitchen is out in the open, which I thought was really cool. Just two chefs for the one small restaurant was kind of perfect, actually. I ordered a delicious Chardonnay and was very happy with that. Two of the ladies that I went with ordered a cheese platter to share and so I had two tastes of a goat/gouda cheese that was completely delicious. It was paired with a beet relish that was also really tasty. This bite of cheese gave me high hopes for the macaroni and cheese that was on its way to me.

When we did get our meals, I dug right in. But it was difficult, initially, because they give you a large spoon to eat the macaroni and cheese with, but the macaroni noodles are longer than the spoon. I eventually (read: quickly) gave up on the spoon in favour of a fork. I absolutely loved that there were bread crumbs on top of the mac and cheese. That's one of my favourite things is bread crumbs baked on top of pasta. However, the mac and cheese, to me, was fairly lacklustre. It was honestly just "ok." I am a huge pasta advocate and if I wouldn't weigh 400 pounds, I would eat it every night. I found that while I liked the bread crumbs and liked that there was a tiny bit of a kick to it, it was much too creamy. Now, to be fair, I am semi-lactose intolerant, but that wasn't what was holding me back with this pasta. There was just way too much cream and not enough noodles for all of that cream. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of enjoying something so much that you completely clean your plate off, but I felt that if I were to do that I would die of a cream-induced heart attack. Needless to say I took half home, but have yet to partake in it again.

I would give the restaurant another try because I thought all the staff were extremely friendly and because the wine and cheese were so good. Next time I'll give a different entree a try.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me your thoughts, hopes, and dreams here!