Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 48: Fat Penguins Skating!

Originally I titled this post 'Fat Penguins Skiing' and then realized they are actually wearing skates. Genius!

Lately I've been thinking about how my generation and the generations after mine are involved so much in the electronic world that we seem to forget about the real world outside of our computer/laptop/tablet/phone screens, etc. Then I came across a video on my friend Krista's Facebook page that really struck a chord with me. While being comical, the guy in the video makes a strong case for stopping using Facebook. Personally, I wouldn't close my Facebook account just because I saw some video. Also, he makes it seem like Facebook is only negative, which is, in fact, not true. I think Facebook can be used well and used poorly. Maybe the majority of us use it poorly, but many people use it to actually connect with their friends. If you'd like to see the video, this is the URL: (FYI: if you don't like swear words, there are a couple written ones)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UouP8cRYZ8&feature=player_embedded

I tried to put that as a link, but it wasn't letting me copy and paste so hopefully you can do that part yourself.

This video did get me thinking more though about how this generation and future generations seem to be becoming more and more 'faceless'. Human contact is so minimal. Entire "relationships" are lived out through text, facebook, and instant messaging. How can you really know someone if your only communication is never in person? Do you really know a person at all if you aren't spending quality time with them? My thought is no.

I so value spending time with my friends. Yes, it's nice to catch up on Facebook or via text with people that you don't see often. But if you are living in the same city and it is geographically possible for you to get together on occasion, but you choose not to -- are those people really your 'close' friends? Probably not. Face time with people is much more meaningful and appreciated, at least to me.

I've always felt that the facial expressions people make are how I can gage how the conversation is going and how the other person is feeling about the topic. Without face-to-face interaction I lose this dynamic to aid in my understanding of the other's feelings. How sad.

I want to be in-person friends with you. Lets go out for coffee.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me your thoughts, hopes, and dreams here!