Monday, August 27, 2012

success

How dictionary.com defines success:

suc·cess

  [suhk-ses]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.
2.
the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.

Success has many possibilities. Obviously what I define as 'success' could be vastly different from someone else's definition. In fact, I might feel I've attained success if I raise a family. I might feel successful if I become a Manager, a VP or the President of a large corporation. Hell, it might mean becoming the Prime Minister for some to view themselves as successful.

I feel like many people muddle through life hoping, wishing for success but not knowing what that means for them. Is success finding love? Trying your best? Earning a long-service award? Learning a language? Seeing the world?

I think success could be hard to define while I'm in a transitional phase of life - working a potentially temporary job, not finished school, unclear on where I want to live or what exactly I want to do with my degree once it's over. 

So maybe, for the time being, success could be more simply defined as being content with where I am, who I am, what I've become so far and what I am becoming. I think I am successful, even now, because I am content.

How do you define success? 

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me your thoughts, hopes, and dreams here!